April 12, 2024

Luby’s: The cafeteria that started in San Antonio

Luby’s Cafeterias, Inc. was founded in San Antonio, TX by Robert (Bob) Luby in 1947. The story begins when Bob was one year old when his father, Harry, opened up a cafeteria called the New England Dairy Lunch in Springfield, Missouri made for the working people.

After learning a lot from his father, Bob opened up his first restaurant focusing on customer service and fresh food with his cousin, Charles. R Johnson and John Lee, Norwood Jones and George H. Wenglein. At the time the cafeteria had staffed twenty-five employees and had 180 seats servicing the downtown Dallas area in 1929.

In early 1973, the company made it’s debut in San Antonio with their headquarters at 2211 NE Loop¬†410 before relocating to Houston, TX in June of 2004 with Christopher J. Pappas as the President and C.E.O. of Luby’s, Inc.

Christopher is related to the Pappas family which owns Pappas Restaurants, Inc. in Houston with Harris J. Pappas on the board of directors heading the Personnel & Administrative Policy Committee.