April 18, 2024

Huebner Onion House

The abandoned two-story house made of stone was built in 1862 owned by Austrian native Joseph Huebner who was a prominent jeweler at the time. Three limestone structuresย were built as a stagecoach stop when travelers were passing through San Antonio.

In 1882, a stagecoach made a stop loaded with whiskey and kerosene. As some of the bottles weren’t labeled, Huebner had mistook one of the bottles for whiskey and drank kerosene. Huebner went back inside the house where he assumably collapsed and died. Huebner was buried near the creek behind the home. People had think he may have been buried alive and that Huebner may have been passed out drink.

In 1930, the house went up for sale and was purchased by Judge John Onion. John and his wife Harriet had moved into the house even though neighbors had warned him the house was haunted.

Immediately after the move in, John and his wife had experienced paranormal activity such as hearing footsteps and encountered a piano playing on its own. The couple lived in the home for 53 years with their sons John Jr. and James.

In 1955, Judge Onion passed away and in 1984 Harriet passed away. The children had decided to board up the house and abandon it.

The house sat abandoned between 1984 through 1999 where it was vandalised and caught fire causing a bit of damage to the structure. Evidence of satanic rituals were performed inside where pentagrams were found near the living room.

In the year 2000, the city of Leon Valley recieved the deed to the property after InTown Suites threatened to demolish the property.

In 2001, the Leon Valley Historical Society designed plans for the restoration. Involved with the restoration process were members of the Leon Valley Historical Society, private contractors, electricians and plumbers, archaeologists, architects, historians, members of the San Antonio Water System and several of land surveyors.

Now, the home sits in the city of Leon Valley nestled at the Huebner-Onion Natural Area Park. The home and property is listed in the Texas Historic Landmark database, National Register of Historic Places and the Historical Society of Leon Valley in 2008.